definate maybe

definate maybe
some times the cube speaks volumes

Friday 2 March 2012

this part time work feels like it takes up all my time

So I am still enjoying my new job but it feels like I am at the store all the time. Instead of just having 3 shifts of 8 hours they break it down into these 4 or 5 hour shifts so you end up working more days and less hours in effect.
I am beginning to see the reality of this type of work and why these companies have such large turn over.
I want to maintain a positive attitude but some things of late are starting to nag at me a little.
I see that being a sales associate can mean you are everything from the cleaner ,the display installer, the special order and installation coordinator and before you have even finished all the "training" your left to watch the whole department and answer phones for your department and the neighboring department if they go on break.
What's really ironic is that when they tell you in the first few days of training " DON'T WORRY WE WON'T THROW YOU TO THE WOLVES" that is exactly what happens!!! I had a job a few years ago and was told the exact same words verbatim and you guessed it same thing. Sorry this blog turned into a bit of a bitch fest.
To top it all off a fellow employee starts telling me that the department I am in has had a turnover of some 30 people in a year and a half. Way to make me feel secure buddy!!.
Did I ever mention this job is a stepping stone for me to get back into the work I want? I guess you can see that is obvious now.
I have been and always will be a good employee, I show up early and do my job I am a team player and I am dedicated to what tasks are given yet I feel that some companies as soon as they perceive that you are good will load you down and push you past what is reasonable.
All this for a "part time" employee that is getting marginally better than minimum wage!
Well here is the positive spin to all this whining it motivates me to keep looking for a better job.
As the stepping stone begins to shrink you better find a way to get to safety.

2 comments:

  1. Stepping stone means it is not forever, and you are not alone. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in retail for over four years so I know how you feel. You're right, they'll always throw you to the wolves and you do have to do all the odd jobs. Being a sales associate is like being at the bottom of the totem pole, but it didn't matter how much I hated my managers or hated the particular department I was in, I always loved my customers. I remember a few that I wish I could forget, but as long as I could put a smile on someone's face and bring a little bit more enjoyment to their shopping experience, then I was happy. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's the truth (I always think about how I want to be treated when I walk into a store). But anyway, it is a stepping stone so take it for what it is. Do your best and continue looking. It's always easier to find a job when you already have one. :)

    ReplyDelete